"What exactly is it you DO?"...

A fair enough question. Seems like I get asked this frequently lately.

Once I establish the context of the question (as in do you mean how do I earn the small living I am capable of, or what do I DO in the larger context...) I try to give as clear an answer as possible. The wage earning is much easier, the big DO is much more nebulous. So i decided to illustrate (based on current conditions, interest, prevailing winds, weathers and tides...)

This is artisting-specific, not incorporating wage work and life maintenance, but you can probably see the logical progression of any add on.

Trust me, the analog real-life version of this is much more convoluted...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Questions, questions...And so beautifully answered.

I'm afraid it had to be reblogged.

Marc Snyder said...

I've honestly thought that my personal answer to that question was that I make an ass of myself in public.

But in a good way, hopefully.

It has something to do with my ideas about art.

It's part of the job description.

So that when someone asks me why I spent so much time on something so relatively insignificant, I can just be comforted by the thought that I'm supposed to be making an ass of myself.

Faux Press said...

All clear now. Thanks :)