Maintaining communications

I started this off (before the edit) by saying not much happening here at Just Making Stuff world headquarters, which isn't exactly true. To the contrary, maybe too much stuff happening. Thus the lack of communiques.

Day job work has ramped up, sucking most of my energy up like a vacuum. Home in the evening and sitting down pretty much immediately leads to system shutdown. I've been working on 3 or 4 different things in the wee morning hours before work, mostly writing. I have several different zines in the works, and I'll be leading a 6 week seminar/discussion group that starts next Monday night, so I've been putting together notes and maps for that. Also, I'm trying to graduate to Final Cut Express from iMovie, so I'm dinkin' around with that as energy permits.

For all the stuff that begs to be made, there are not enough hours in the day. Plus, I'm finding myself ever less inclined to rush through the days and try to cram a lot in at the expense of feeling so fragmented and frustrated. But not to worry, I'm realigning priorities and making some adjustments and concessions that will allow a freeing up of time. I've reached the point where it's more important to me to determine my value and to use my time and energy first for me and secondly in the pursuit of making a living. I might be singing another tune in six months, cause you know you can have time or money but rarely both (at least in the case of the normal ground level worker). So the trick is to figure out what is enough to get by and stop there. Beyond the minimum required for shelter, food and maintenance, there is more value in contentment, health, sanity and sense of purpose than any wage job (unless that's what gives you contentment and sense of purpose) can provide. And a lot more real security.

Beware of having too much trust in any institution. Recognize the value in your self.

I digress, as I am prone to do. It's almost eight, the morning comes early, and it will be a busy week. And I think I might try to put a zine together before bed. It'll give a me a sense of accomplishment.

Plus, there's rabble to rouse and sacred cows to tip...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time certainly speeds up the older you get. The days fly, the weeks rack up, the years trundle on. I blink and the day's gone. Whereas I seem to remember childhood lasting forever.

I've been trying to pick up my camera for the past two weeks, my head full of ideas and good intentions. But life intervenes and suddenly I wonder what happened to those two weeks. Then I'm out of sorts.

Even so, I'm trying to be creative each day. Even with the smallest of gestures. When I do that things are so much better.

I profoundly agree with you statement that "...beyond the minimum required for shelter, food and maintenance, there is more value in contentment, health, sanity and sense of purpose than any wage job (unless that's what gives you contentment and sense of purpose) can provide". I needed to read that. Thanks.